Tuesday, March 01, 2005

IN but not OF...

You'll have to read all of this to really get what I want to say. Sorry about that. My son's first car is a '74 Gran Torino in electric blue with a white vinyl roof. It is in great shape and only has 38000 miles on it. Sometimes I go and pick him up in his own car and we go places and do things. I drove it a few days ago and picked him up to go to the shooting range (odd hobby for a minister, but there you are...), get our parrot's nails and wings clipped, and maybe check out a music store.

As a long time shooter I am licensed to carry concealed in quite a few States. It is easier to transport a pistol in its holster so it was under my jacket that day. The parrot? His name is Scooby and he thinks he's a dog. Really. We take in birds and make them healthy and happy and then find them homes. This one is ours, though. He's a weird little guy, but he's a keeper.

One more piece needs to be added here. I own lots of guitars and love each of them. However, recently we heard IZ singing a solo version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" accompanied only by a ukulele. Duncan -- my son -- and I were entranced by the wonderful voice and the sweet sound of the ukulele so we both rushed out and bought a couple ukes and IZ's CD so we could learn the song. It has been a real hoot and a half to learn the new chords and voicings.

Okay, the picture is complete. I found myself sitting in an electric blue '74 Gran Torino, strumming a ukulele with a parrot on my shoulder singing along and a Glock under my jacket. And I wondered: is this it? Have I become this eccentric? I fear I know the answer before I even ask the question. The bizarre situation felt normal. Should I be troubled?

I don't think so. We have been told by God to be in the world, but not of it. My dad used to tell me, "Patrick, I didn't raise you to get along with everybody." Short, sweet and profound. We aren't supposed to look like, sound like, or live like the world. We are supposed to be so full of the Spirit that we seem as odd to the world as drunks do to us ('be no longer filled with wine, but filled with the Spirit"). If I seem somewhat odd to you, that is fine. I won't be here long. I'm just passing through. Hear that? I think another tentpeg gave way.... and I'm another step along the road from here to home...

6 Comments:

At 3/01/2005 12:24:00 PM , Blogger Donna G said...

I love it when we can be "different" from this world we live in. I have wracked my brain for an equally bizarre thing that I might sometimes do, but sitting in an old Ford, strumming a ukulele, with a parrot on your shoulder and a gun under your jacket, beats anything I have even dreamed about!!!

 
At 3/01/2005 02:23:00 PM , Blogger Donna G said...

Feel free to use anything on my blog anyway you wish. I am honored you would wish to publish anything I write. (You might leave off the part about me weighing a ton though!!)

 
At 3/03/2005 10:53:00 AM , Blogger David U said...

Patrick, after having witnessed those brothers attack you in Edmond, I am glad to know that you pack some heat! :)

Great post! Does the Grand Torino have a dog in the back windshield or big dice hanging from the rear-view mirror?

Keep bloggin, brother!

In HIM,
David

 
At 3/04/2005 09:44:00 AM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

No dog in the back window, but there is a United States Marine Corps sticker. It has the same effect. My son wants to be a Marine officer and is looking into NROTC. And now you know my other secret. When the brothers attacked me at Oklahoma and I gently patted them and told them to go with God, I was really checking them for weapons. Not really.

 
At 4/15/2005 02:47:00 PM , Blogger Amigo said...

The Iz version of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" is beautiful. And the ukulele tops it off, very well done.Makes the Judy Garland one sound amateurish.

I first heard it on a helicopter ride over Maui. Looking down at the green island with a light rain hitting the glass, beading up and sliding away all the while with a rainbow in view. Whenever I hear that song today I can close my eyes and be back in the helicopter.

I'm sorry that Iz died, his voice was one of the best.

 
At 10/27/2022 09:50:00 AM , Anonymous Screen Doors Grand Prairie said...

Awesoome blog you have here

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home