Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Ramblings....

Just a few disconnected thoughts (my favorite kind).

1. I love this country. I can live anywhere because of my heritage and background, but I choose to live in the USA. There is so much here that exists nowhere else on the planet (The Bill of Rights: don't leave home without it). During our current crisis you once again see that the power of the USA is not its government but its people. Where else can you find people in every corner, in every business, in every church, and in every home rallying to take care of each other and pouring out funds to people they don't know and will never meet? In our congregation alone people have given many thousands and that is ahead of an event we are hosting this Sunday when we plan to gather with our African American brethren from downriver for an afternoon of prayer, praise and giving.

2. If I was stranded on a desert island (I would rather be on a dessert island, but those are harder to find) and could have three books they would be:
a. the Bible
b. the Carmina Gaedelica (a huge collection of Gaelic prayers and meditations)
c. "The Practical Guide to Shipbuilding For Dummies"

What ones would you take?

3. Isn't it wonderful to see that while our politicians fight each other to see who to blame, the people just rally to make sure that our fellow citizens are comforted? Wouldn't the world be a better place if our politicians were more like our people? Wouldn't we be better off being ruled by the first 500 names in the phone book than by professional blame casters?

4. How do people handle the crises in life when they are not part of a faith family? I know for certain that were my house to burn down there would be a line of people waiting to help me before the flames died down. They are my brothers and sisters in Christ. Where would I be without them? Why would anyone chose to live without a church family?

In a couple of days I'll do something more coherent here. Maybe. God bless all of you.

5 Comments:

At 9/07/2005 05:37:00 PM , Blogger David U said...

Coherent? Let us be the judge of that my brother! I am in Cali, so most anything you could say would be conherent to me after being in this culture for more than 72 hours. But, God is EVERYWHERE out here.....in nature. It is absolutely gorgeous. I drove thru Napa valley today, and how any human could make that drive and not be convinced there is a God is beyond me.

Great post, and VERY coherent! :)

DU

 
At 9/07/2005 06:15:00 PM , Blogger Jo said...

Let me just say that if I'm ever stranded on a desert island I want you to be there!
I was just reading VOM's info on the Christian persecution in N. Korea, and I have to say that in spite of all the problems here in the USA we are so very blessed to be here and have all the freedoms we enjoy. We definitely need to be thanking God for it!

 
At 9/07/2005 09:40:00 PM , Blogger Donna G said...

I think I will take Dallas Willard's The Divine Conspiracy...I probally will need the uninterrupted time to read it, and I know already I need to re-read it!

And I am with you, How do people go through life without a church family to lift them up in hard times and to rejoice with them in good times! It truly makes for a wonderful life

 
At 9/09/2005 01:07:00 PM , Blogger Josh Graves said...

Three essential books to have on the island.

1. The Bible-to remind me that being on island might not be that bad after all; no people!

2. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. C'mon this book has it all for any season of life. Plus it might help deal with all of the unexpected twists and turns of living on a secluded island...oh wait...I won't be around people.

3. "Idiots Guide to Rebuilding the Ship after the First Ship Building Project Fails"--it took me 6 days to put together a $70 entertainment center from WalMart one time.

 
At 9/10/2005 11:39:00 AM , Blogger Chalmers said...

My wife and I were in Louisiana and Mississippi last week end. The thing that was most disheartening was that when we returned home, we heard repeatedly on the TV news that people were being encouraged not to head down there to help. We found there to be plenty of open roads and many people in need of help. While New Orleans was off limits, the rest of the Gulf Coast and Northshore of Lake Ponchatrain was accessible and the people where in need. My wife and I only regret was that we didn't leave on Friday.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home