Monday, October 31, 2005

Random Stories from the Road

I'm in the Philly airport waiting for a flight to Detroit. Looking around me I am reminded of that question that plagues every writer, cartoonist, or songwriter: "Where do you get your ideas?" Stories are all around us.

1. An Air National Guard sergeant is sitting beside me. Four people have come up to him in the last half hour and thanked him for his service, shaking his hand, and sincerely wishing him well. He responds that he really isn't someone to thank, that he is "just" in the guard. People wave his humility away and thank him again, tenderly. What kind of man has six stripes on his sleeve and yet considers himself a minor player?

2. One woman was helped over to speak to him. She is elderly and tells him, in a soft voice, that she was a nurse in World War II. He treats her as kindly as if she were his beloved grandmother and she looks at him as an honorable descendant. What stories tie these two together?

3. An Amish woman is walking down the concourse with three little girls, all in dresses and bonnets. They all hold hands. The mother keeps her eyes straight ahead but one of the girls can't help but look all around her at these strange people, foods, clothes, and lifestyles. What is she seeing? What difference will it make in her life? Where are they going? How hard was it for them to get their bishop's permission to fly? Will this trip lessen or confirm their fear of outsiders?

4. Across from me is a young man and woman, both around thirty. She is reading a book on the wonders and blessings of being a stay at home mom. He is reading a book on economics. They stop every now and then and share passages they just read with each other. They smile when they do so, show interest in the other and their reading or insight. From time to time she lays her head on his shoulder. What is their story and how many people in this crowded concourse would give their new Lexus and Rolex for a life like theirs?

5. I spoke at two churches in New Jersey this week. At Tabernacle the teens gathered excitedly on the front three rows every night. They were bright, friendly, and articulate. Their parents beamed with pride over their teen's behavior -- and rightly so. A man who only knew me from the internet drove in from Pennsylvania to hear me in person and remarked that he had never had his hand shaken so many times, been greeted so warmly, and made to feel so welcome as at this little church in a rural area of south Jersey. What brought them to this place? What impact will their simple kindness have on his life?

6. At the Pitman church I saw heroism and Christianity alive and well. The preacher's wife is fighting two kinds of breast cancer and yet is full of smiles, hugs, and welcome. The preacher himself is a lifelong evangelist; one of the best I've ever met. The congregation is a blend of white, black, and Hispanic all living in love and harmony -- perhaps the best example of this I have ever seen. One recent baptism was of a former go-go dancer, now in her sixties and finally home with people who love her. Two others were baptized yesterday. A woman had been in the hospital with a member of the Pitman church who was terminal, yet that woman's faith so affected the other that, after the believer's death, she and her husband came to the baptistry and gave their lives to that same Lord. How many other stories like this are in this church? What kind of spirit lives there?

7. Little stories abound around me. A young African American woman dozes alone in a chair, holding a bouquet of a dozen pink roses. Somebody loves her. What is her story? An older white man, perhaps in his nineties, sits alone, quietly. Does he have someone to help him get to the bathroom or to buy him a soda at the shop across the walkway? Wait! A woman in her thirties has just sat down beside him. Someone is there for him. A woman empties trashcans and has the prettiest face and smile in the whole airport. I speak to her briefly about the nice weather and we both say "God bless you" when we part. Have I just met a Christian? What is her story? What brings her joy in this dark and dusty airport?

I sit here in my Maxwell Smart Edition Cone of Silence and watch God's children all around me. For a brief moment I wonder what God thinks of these people. I know He loves them, but for some reason I am convinced that He is proud of them, too. I cannot articulate why that idea brings me such joy, but it does. May He be proud of me, too.

13 Comments:

At 10/31/2005 12:26:00 PM , Blogger salguod said...

Post like this are why I keep coming back here in anticipation. I hope I can have eyes like yours. Sometimes I do, but too often I'm too engrossed in my own life to see that well. Thanks for the reminder that we are surrounded by stories.

 
At 10/31/2005 01:21:00 PM , Blogger Donna G said...

Beautiful thoughts. I spend too much time in my Cone of Silence, but I do love to observe people.

 
At 10/31/2005 01:48:00 PM , Blogger Niki said...

Ahhhh...a fellow people watcher!

Do you ever wonder if people are watching you and wondering about your story?

 
At 10/31/2005 03:02:00 PM , Blogger believingthomas said...

let him who has eyes to see...

Thanks for sharing.. I don't know why it brings me comfort to sit along side you and hear of these people that I don't know, but it swells something inside me.

thanks again.

 
At 11/01/2005 09:11:00 AM , Blogger Karen said...

Your blog always uplifts me! It's so encouraging to know that God is working in lives all around the world and that one day we'll all meet in person!

God bless you and your ministry.

 
At 11/01/2005 09:59:00 AM , Blogger Cheetah, the cheetah said...

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who watches people and wonders about them. Sometimes after a long, boring airport sit, we'll make up wild and funny stories about interesting-looking people just to pass the time--always shared discreetly in whispers of course!

More seriously though, I do think about people and wonder about their lives, their families and their connections to God...

 
At 11/01/2005 10:04:00 AM , Blogger Hoots Musings said...

Your post confirms what I recently discovered from a friend from India...we are all the same on the inside and have more in common than we ever realized.

Thank you for your well written post, I am blessed to read your writings.

 
At 11/01/2005 01:13:00 PM , Blogger David U said...

Patrick....ahh one of the wonderful blessings that just comes with traveling......watching other people! Isn't it amazing?
As you so vividly pointed out, each and every one has a story. And whether we like it or not, most of our stories have some common denominators. One HUGE common one that you pointed out is that we are ALL His children. Period. So as Monte says....."them are not really them, them are us."

Keep posting, bro. And while you are traveling, bring yourself down to Searcy! We want more of your time and wisdom!

DU

 
At 11/01/2005 09:13:00 PM , Blogger JP said...

Patrick,

Great post and thanks for the kind words about Pitman. Unfortuanetly, I was unable to see you Sunday but I heard you presence was a blessing to all. The preachers wife you mentioned (Kathrine) is an example, isn't she? All that she has to deal with she is just full of spirit and love and you are correct....smiles. God bless you my friend

 
At 11/01/2005 09:39:00 PM , Blogger Mick Wright said...

Powerful.

 
At 11/02/2005 01:15:00 PM , Blogger Kevin J Bowman said...

Thank you... I loved it! I am currently praying that I would have a greater strength to see those in that crowd that need ME to demonstrate Christ love to them, and that I would have the faith to show it.

 
At 11/03/2005 10:45:00 AM , Blogger Jo said...

I've always enjoyed people watching at airports. I especially love to watch flights unload, and all the hugs and laughter as loved ones connect again. It's beautiful.

 
At 11/07/2005 07:25:00 PM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

I remember you well and wish you well! Thanks for visiting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home