Saturday, February 11, 2006

Periphera...

Just some quick notes. My son in law wrote a lovely blog about why he loves his wife, my daughter. It would be good for all of us to write and speak more about our husbands and wives. (www.joshgraves.blogspot.com)

I am back in Michigan. Louisiana was wonderful -- if you are referring to the people. The damage from Rita (I was on that side of the State) had to be seen to be believed. And even then... if I knew how to post some photos on my blog I would, but I'm no techie.

After preaching the three morning services tomorrow I will take my family out to lunch, come home, pack, and head out for Columbus where I'm teaching a short course at Ohio State University on Death and Dying. It is just a one day thing and then I should be back home in time for Valentine's Day. Friday, when most of the churches here in the eastern half of the nation, will be sending their kids to Winterfest in Gatlinburg, I'll be driving NORTH to Canada. I'm doing a youth rally in Meaford, Ontario. It is one of the larger youth events in Canada and is very important to them. They told me they had two and a half to three feet of new snow on the ground as of yesterday. Should be an interesting trip and quite a change from Louisiana. I speak on Friday and Saturday, preach Sunday morning and then drive back home (Lord willing). In perfect weather, and with no cranky customs and immigration people, that's a five to six hour drive.

Tomorrow we will be blessing our fourth team to head to the Gulf (three from the church and one from the college). They are leaving next week for Picayune, Mississippi. My sixteen year old son, Duncan, will be with them. He is spending his entire winter break down there helping to repair homes and haul trash. Hoo-ah!

My father returned home last night from Guyana. I haven't spoken with him yet, but hear that he is fine and that many were baptized and helped during his three weeks there. Thank you for your prayers.

Life is an adventure. And so it continues....

8 Comments:

At 2/11/2006 10:49:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're everywhere! Thanks for all you do in the greater Christian community. You have some important things to teach, some things that very few are knowledgeable in, and you do it so well. My teen appreciated the youth rally you did for our area on the East Coast and our entire church family appreciated your meeting on dinosaurs and various apologetic topics. That's quite a son you have, you have raised him well and your son-in-law sings your daughter's praises. I still have two little ones and a two in their teens. I don't know if we ever get finished completely in parenting but I look forward to a sigh of relief someday when they are adults secure in choosing God's ways. It's the most important job we have been entrusted with. May God command many angels to keep watch over your travels. We are expecting perhaps a foot of snow here this weekend, but Canada has us beat! How are you going to get to your location once you arrive, by sled dogs or snow mobile?

 
At 2/11/2006 11:34:00 AM , Blogger David U said...

PM, sounds like you are meeting yourself coming and going! At some point you are going to have to slow down and catch your breath!
Thanks for your servant heart.......it sounds like the apple didn't fall too far from the tree, with your son and with you also. Was your grandad a servant also?

It's a wonderful legacy, brother!

In HIM,
DU

 
At 2/11/2006 03:11:00 PM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

Actually, my dad's father was a bit of a scoundrel most of his life. Neither he or my grandmother wanted much to do with us since my parents "got religion." When I was a freshman in high school they walked into a meeting where my dad was preaching. I thought "uh oh, here's trouble" but they sat quietly and then were baptized at the end of the lesson.

My father patterned his service after two great grandfathers who were soldiers and then circuit riding ministers. He was also inspired by finding out one of his relatives started twenty (I think) Anglican churches on the American frontier. He told me, when I was a boy, he planned to undo the harm by starting more churches of Christ than that! I think he's done that by now.

 
At 2/11/2006 03:40:00 PM , Blogger Niki said...

I'm going to pray for safety and good health for you and your family while you're running around doing all of this ministry ;) Really that's about the same prayer I've offered up for you many times before. Keep on serving brother. You're an inspiration and a valiant warrior!

 
At 2/11/2006 06:04:00 PM , Blogger salguod said...

Columbus Ohio! If you have the time and are so inclined (and get this comment before leaving) it would be neat to get lunch / dinner / coffee together while you're here. Drop me an email at the link in th upper left box on my blog - www.salguod.net.

Otherwise, have a safe trip.

 
At 2/12/2006 10:38:00 PM , Blogger PatrickMead said...

Douglas, this is too tight a schedule or I'd love to meet you. There'll be another opportunity.

Dee, I have forwarded your post to all who are going to Picayune. I am sure they will be able to meet your husband. Make sure he gets in touch with Duncan. I'll email you his cell phone number.

All, thanks for your prayers. You are too kind to this old guy...

 
At 2/13/2006 12:58:00 PM , Blogger salguod said...

Patrick - I thought that might be the case, no worries. I'll just look forward to that someday oportunity.

 
At 2/13/2006 04:22:00 PM , Blogger Laymond said...

You said you wished to load pictures if you knew how.try this

http://www.hello.com/

I find it very helpful

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home