Monday, October 09, 2006

Let's Go For A Walk

When I first met my wife I was so poor that we couldn't go out and eat or see a movie more than once a month. Our dates were me sitting at her dining room table and playing my 12 string guitar as she studied her homework. The greatest thrill, the highest honor, was getting to take a walk with this wonderful woman.

When I read the Bible, I see a theme, a motif, running through it. At the very beginning, in the Garden of Eden, God comes down and walks with Adam and Eve every evening. When the Flood is declared as punishment on the earth God partners with Noah -- one builds the big box and the other brings the animals to it. Shortly afterwards (if not in time, at least in terms of chapters), God comes to Abram and invites him on a walk to a distant land. When the Israelites are enslaved in Egypt, God steps in and attacks each of that land's gods in a series of plagues. When they are all subdued, God invites the people on a walk -- one that would last 40 years instead of one because of their rebellion. When Jesus comes, he does the same thing. He tosses out demons, gets the people's attention by healing and teaching, and then says, "Follow me." In other words, "Let's go for a walk."

Try to find examples where God found people and encouraged them to stay in place. He calls us forward, onward. He tells us that it is time to put on the yoke. While his yoke is easy, it is still a yoke and you NEVER yoke oxen so that they can stay where they are! You yoke them to move, to go to work.

We are made for movement. When we don't physically move, our muscles and joints get stiff and eventually lose their elasticity. Our spirits were made for movment, too. We weren't made to do mindless things in mindless places. Risk, learn, move, grow.... walk.

We are, according to 2 Corinthians 3:17,18, being transformed into ever increasing glory. Those are action words -- movement words -- walking words.

Some young couples in our subdivision take a walk together every evening. Those are the marriages that will last. Some of the young mothers take their kids for walks a few times a day, especially now that the weather will soon turn bad. Those are good mommas. Exercise scientists tell us that walking five miles burns as many calories as running five miles and with less stress on the joints. Sure, it takes longer, but that gives you more time to think and talk.

The whole of Scripture can be read as an invitation by God to walk with Him. In one instance, God tells Abram to "walk before me." That doesn't mean that Abram led and God followed, not at all. It was sweeter and more wonderful than that. It was God saying, "Let me watch you walk. Walk with me and let me rejoice in your walking." You have a Father who wants to watch you walk today. It's okay -- He loves you! And He will walk with you.

10 Comments:

At 10/09/2006 08:09:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent! Thanks for reminding me that walking with God is a very special thing.

Remember Enoch?

Grace and Peace,
Royce Ogle

 
At 10/10/2006 07:19:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful thoughts. Lack of forward motion will just get us stuck in the mud....

I better get to walking.

 
At 10/10/2006 11:48:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! This theme resonates throughout scripture. We're pilgrims, aliens, strangers. The early church was called "The Way". Jesus talked about the roads to heaven and to hell. We sing about how "This world is not my home . . ." Look at how many great stories have to do with travel.

We are nomads. The less we have to carry with us, the better we can travel. There is a real story to be told here. Hmmmm . . .

 
At 10/10/2006 10:42:00 PM , Blogger Bill Williams said...

Excellent, Patrick!
Through the years, I've been reminded more than a few times that the metaphor of choice (though running, boxing, and etc. are used) for the Christian life is a "walk".
Occasionally, I need to be reminded that the steady, paced, peripatetic movement into the enjoyed presence of God is not only what we are called to, it is one of life’s most rewarding pursuits. You have done this most effectively with this post.
Thank you!
-bill

 
At 10/13/2006 09:53:00 AM , Blogger preacherman said...

Great post.
I enjoy the walk I have with God. Sometimes it is smooth, sometimes rough. When I was younger I was paralized and had to learn to walk all over again. I have found that true with my walk with God too. There have been times in my life where I have had to learn how to walk with him all over again. I hope that sometime in my life my walk will be as good as Enoch's and they can say of me at the end of my life, "He walked with God and was no more..."

Great post as always.

 
At 10/13/2006 11:29:00 PM , Blogger Kari said...

hey Patrick. This is just what I needed today. Thank you.

 
At 10/15/2006 09:38:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting! I have been praying for God to guide my walk as I try to wait on Him to show me the answers to my questions. I think there is a way to walk with God and not jump into action with a solution or plan of my own but to wait for His answer. I'm still discovering how to do that.

 
At 10/16/2006 06:35:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me think that if I am not walking with God I must be walking with someone... The more that you walk with God the better your chances are to not fall of the path.....This reminds me of the "Footprints" poem. Thank you....

 
At 10/16/2006 09:01:00 PM , Blogger Keith Brenton said...

I think this post - a week ago now - was what first put Micah 6:8 in my mind again. Since then, probably half a dozen things have brought it back.

I'd comment more, but I need to go walk.

 
At 11/02/2006 05:25:00 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Walking is good for the mind and soul. I used to go on walks alone. (or take my dog with me) Now, my daughter and I have been walking together for the past few years. We talk about all kinds of things. Sometimes when we go, she is cranky or I am cranky. It is one of those dialogues. . ."why am I walking with you? I don't want to do this. Why are you making me do this?" But we keep walking and talking. (with utterances like, I'm gonna turn around and go home. Why am I walking with a grump?" By the time we're half way through our mile or two walk, we are ok. We're not so cranky anymore. We're smiling and feeling good. SOmetimes we have our giggling fits. Proverbs 15:13

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home