Saturday, November 26, 2005

Little Tyrants, Little Kings

How many kings are involved in your life? Here is what I mean: the bank has a call on my life. It is a king over my life because I cannot just decide not to pay the mortgage. I HAVE to go to work and I HAVE to pay that bill. There are other kings: my wife has some authority over my movements and decisions as do my aged parents and my children. My life is not my own; there are kings involved.

And then there is the problem of Jesus. Problem? Well, yes. I love thinking about Jesus. It is great that he is my savior and I revel in the fact that he actively intercedes for me. I love that "counselor" and "prince of peace" stuff and don't even get me started talking about Jesus as brother and joint-heir! Wow!

But you can't have Jesus as Savior unless he is also King. And not just another king, i.e. king of Sunday morning or King of 10% of your money. He has to be King of Kings. Want Jesus? You have to take him as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Every other king can only rule you insofar as they, and you, are in submission to the King over all kings.

The problem is that the little kings and petty tyrants in this world will try to chip away at Christ's authority in your life. Sales will try to take your money, glossy ads will try to distract you from quiet time with the Lord, commercials will shout or tease to get your attention, and that god in the mirror is a constant pain. It will take discipline, fellowship, and worship to keep the King of Kings where he belongs -- on the throne of our hearts, minds, and every corner of our lives.

Live so that we can say "Long live the King of Kings" with our lips and with our lives.

3 Comments:

At 11/27/2005 11:45:00 AM , Blogger David U said...

PM, Ken Neller spoke on "discipleship" this morning, and your post today was similar to what he had to say.

He really is the ONLY King that matters, isn't He?

God bless,
DU

 
At 11/27/2005 04:03:00 PM , Blogger Keith Brenton said...

This post somehow brings to mind a reference to "tent pegs" in the Old Testament ... I guess we need to be courageous - like Jael - to drive a tent peg through the temple of each of those little tyrants in our lives ....

 
At 11/28/2005 11:14:00 AM , Blogger believingthomas said...

May his kingdom come...over all our lives.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home