Monday, December 05, 2005

Choose Your Lunch

There is a strange British expression to indicate that you have really, really messed something up. You are said to have "made a dog's lunch" of it. It's gross, but it means that your efforts ended up like what a dog throws up. Yech, right?

There's another kind of lunch, though. Remember the little boy whose lunch Jesus turned into food for thousands of people? I love that story. There is no indication that that little boy gave up his food willingly. I imagine the apostles bringing him all wadded up in the fetal position attempting to protect the lunch that his mommy had made for him. Out of the thousands of people listening to Jesus that day only one had a mommy who thought ahead to lunchtime. When the apostles decided that the people needed to be sent away to find food, Jesus told them to find food for them. I am sure that the apostles were bringing the little boy to Jesus to show him there wasn't enough food. Jesus found a way to extricate the few fish and bits of bread from the boy and made enough to feed everyone.

And the leftovers? I think Jesus would have sent those home with the boy.

When I look at the few talents I possess and what God has done with them, I thank God he has let me be like that boy's lunch. When the elders hired me at Rochester I told them that if they wanted to write down my skills and positive traits they wouldn't need much paper. I wasn't lying. Yet, I raised a lovely daughter and am still raising a wonderful son. I have a wife who still makes my heart flutter after 26 years of marriage. I have a church of 1000+ people who love Jesus and take good care of me.

How'd this happen? Look at my family and my history and you would think my life would be a real dog's lunch. But Jesus gave me the same treament he gave that little boy's lunch. None of it was due to me. It was him. Love and grace is on offer, it seems, to those who take Jesus up on his offer.

Dog's lunch or boy's lunch. You decide.

7 Comments:

At 12/06/2005 07:50:00 AM , Blogger Donna G said...

What a great reminder to use what we have been given, and let God worry about who all it will "feed".

Thanks!

 
At 12/06/2005 08:26:00 AM , Blogger Mike the Eyeguy said...

Patrick--

Good thoughts. I had not considered the miracle of the loaves and fishes in a while until I recently taught a class on John 6 at church. What struck me was if you go read the various Gospel accounts of this miracle, it seems that this is a miracle of division rather than multiplication--no where is there ever a mention of anything more than 5 loaves and 2 fishes, just that there were many pieces left over.

If that's the case, that Jesus didn't necessarily make more but that what was available was sufficient, then that is truly mysterious. But maybe no more mysterious than him taking what he has to work with--you and me for instance--and somehow working some good...now that's a miracle!

 
At 12/06/2005 11:08:00 AM , Blogger believingthomas said...

That's interesting about the little boy, I had supposed that he was the only one with faith and offered up his lunch. Either way its a great scene.

 
At 12/06/2005 06:49:00 PM , Blogger Kirsten Alana said...

wow, did I need to hear this today! thank you Patrick :-)

 
At 12/07/2005 08:43:00 AM , Blogger Jeff said...

Patrick,

Thanks for speaking at our Monthly Ministers Meeting -- it was great to meet you, and you really encouraged us with your words.

Keep up the good work!

 
At 12/07/2005 10:48:00 AM , Blogger David U said...

PM, I love in the Mark account that Jesus asks them how much they had! I believe He knew, but wanted to make sure they knew.....so that later they would know how much He had done with so little. On my BEST day, all I have is 5 loaves and 2 fish! Like you, I am amazed at what HE can do with so little to work with.

Love you bro,
DU

 
At 12/07/2005 10:51:00 PM , Blogger Amy S. Grant said...

Patrick,
I've really enjoyed your thoughts on your blog. Especially this one. What a great analogy of what Jesus multiplies out of our meager talents. Love it! Thanks for the encouragement and reminder.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home